Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Chicken Stock


6 cups of really good stock!
As I thought about my day, I tried to figure out if there was anything symbolic about it. Little Mister didn't sleep well last night, but I feel ok. I'm showered and dressed. I didn't straighten my hair, but it looks ok anyway. That all adds up to a pretty good day.
My primary activities included putting together the baby's new highchair, making dinner and making some chicken stock. The chicken stock is probably the most symbolic thing about the day. It's made of chicken bones that have been in the freezer since who knows when. For years we stashed the extra bones and I would say, "Oh, I'll try to make stock with those this weekend." But I rarely did it.
When I was commuting to work I just didn't have the time or energy to get extra stuff like that done. Today I was digging in the freezer for some lunch, found a bag of bones and thought about stock. Then I made it. I had the time and energy. Now we have tasty stock and we'll have tasty meals from it.
My life has changed in a lot of big ways in the past few months, but it's the little things that help me realize how happy I am with the changes.

Chicken Stock

This method was gleaned from probably dozens of sources over the years. It's flexible and you can make it with vegetables that have been around the crisper drawer a little too long.

Bones of at least one chicken (with meat removed, may be cooked or uncooked)
4-5 stalks of celery, roughly chopped, leaves and all
1 carrot, roughly chopped
1 onion, roughly chopped
1 tsp peppercorns, whole
2 bay leaves
1 tsp salt
6 cups water

Add all ingredients into a pressure cooker. Cover with water - approximately six cups.
Bring to a boil.
Lock pressure cooker lid and bring to pressure.
Cook for 30-45 minutes. Follow guidelines for your cooker for times and releasing pressure.
Cool slightly and strain liquid through cheese cloth. Allow to cool and remove any fat that rises to the top.
Season with salt, but not too generously if you plan to use it in other recipes.

You may also cook the stock in a large pot instead of a pressure cooker. Bring everything to a boil and reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook for 2-3 hours.


No comments:

Post a Comment