Thursday, June 27, 2013

Dinner's Ready: Salmon Cakes

I'm not sure if they're a southern specialty or not, but I grew up eating salmon cakes on a regular basis, so when my very much not raised in the country husband requested them for dinner one night I was confused! Where did he hear about these? Well, I'm not sure where he had them, but I made them for the first time in at least 20 years and they're back on our regular menu!
I think you can add things to make the recipe a bit fancier (I add capers! I did not add capers as a child). But we like them prepared simply.

Salmon Cakes
resurrected from childhood memories

1 can pink salmon (16 oz, I think)
1/3 sleeve of saltine crackers, crushed (about 1 1/2 cups)
1/2 yellow or sweet onion, grated
2 tbs parsley, chopped
2 tbs capers, drained and rinsed
2 eggs, lightly beaten
dash Tabasco sauce
salt
pepper
olive oil

Drain salmon and remove any skin or large bones. This is your preference. I'll be honest - canned salmon freaks me out a little bit, and I think most people feel the same way the first time they see it. You can eat everything in the can, skin and bones included. I don't like the way the skin and bones look, so I take them out. My husband leaves them in. They're really great for you. One day I'll grow up and leave them in.
Flake the salmon with your fingers and mix in crushed crackers. Add grated onion, parsley and capers and mix. Add eggs and Tabasco sauce and mix until incorporated. Season lightly with salt and add pepper (1/2 tsp for me).
Refrigerate for at least an hour. You can make them right away, but the everything is better incorporated after a rest.
Lightly oil a non-stick skillet and heat to medium high. Form cakes with about 1/2 cup of the mixture.
Fry for 3-4 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
Serve with dijon mustard (for me) or ketchup (for my husband).

No comments:

Post a Comment